The IEEE Greece Section had the great honor to host the 110th IEEE Region 8 Committee meeting, on 10-11 March 2018, in the city of Athens. More than 160 IEEE volunteers of all grades (Students, Professionals, Fellow, Senior), from more than 60+ countries gathered together to discuss about the policies and the most hot topics that concern our Region.
During the opening day, Friday 9th of March, all committees of Region 8 had the opportunity to hold their internal face-to-face meetings and set their goals of the year. In the evening, the delegates attended the session dedicated to the IEEE Greece Section that hosted the event.
IEEE Region 8 Director, Margaretha Eriksson welcomed everyone before passing the microphone to the main speakers. Following the welcome message of the Region 8 Director, the Chair of IEEE Greece Section, Prof. Nectarios Koziris, and the Vice-Chair Assistant Prof. Thanos Kakarountas, presented in brief the accomplishments of the Section and its units (Chapters, Affinity Groups and Student Branches).
The keynote speech that closed the program of the first day, was given by Prof.Vassilios Makios – General Director of Corallia Clusters Initiative. Prof. Makios gave a vivid and very optimistic speech about the High-Tech Entrepreneurship future in Greece, based on the philosophy of innovation and collaboration. During his speech, he presented important facts and figures, highlighting the growth of innovative Greek companies, originated from the markets of Gaming, Nano/Micro-Electronics based systems and Space technologies.
During the social event that followed, an awards’ ceremony was held, and it was a very special moment for the IEEE Greece Section since it received 6 awards and 1 certificate.
- 2017 Region 8 Outstanding Large Section Award.
- Region 8 Exemplary Student Branch Award, University of Patras.
- Region 8 Exemplary Student Branch Award, National Technological University of Athens.
- Region 8 Exemplary Student Branch Award, University of Thessaly (Lamia).
- Region 8 Exemplary Student Branch Award, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
- IEEE Region 8 Acceleration Program 2017-18, ‘Piece of Game’ from the IEEE Student Branch of University of Thessaly (Lamia), winner in University Education Category.
- IEEE Region 8 Acceleration Program 2017-18, ‘Arduino A to Z’ from the IEEE Student Branch of Thrace, certificate as runner-up in Pre-University Education Category.
Special thanks need to be given to all the behind-the-scene volunteers (mainly IEEE student members) who took care of everything and supported the attendees, always with the famous Greek hospitality.